History of Hampton-in-Arden Folk Dance Group
What is now known as Hampton-in-Arden Folk Dance Group began in the Autumn of 1954 when Joe Tatton, the village shoemaker, organised a series of folk dances in response to the "square dance craze" that was sweeping the country. Many of the dancers arrived by public transport, some by train and some by the coach (organised by Curly) that travelled from the centre of Birmingham, collecting people along the way.
In 1957 "local boy" Ray Parker became the chairman and he remained in this position until shortly before his death in 2012.
The dances have always been held in Fentham Hall, a property owned and maintained by The George Fentham Charitable Trust.
For details visit their website: www.georgefenthamtrust.org.uk
The dances are organised and run by a small committee who care passionately about folk dancing and who want to continue the tradition of dancing in Fentham Hall for those who have gone before us, for our wonderful bands and callers and FOR YOU, THE DANCERS.